Thursday, March 29, 2012

MERRITT ISLAND NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE



Having decided to stop at Titusville until Sunday as state park sites were non existant until after the spring break which finishes this weekend, we spent the day visiting Merrit Island National Wildlife Refuge.

The 140,000 acre refuge shares a common boundary with NASA's Kennedy Space Center. Salt and freshwater marshes with wading birds, raptors, waterfowl, alligators and fiddler crabs the order of the day. We saw three manatee at Haulover Canal and some pretty butterflies and not so pretty lizards and bugs.












2 comments:

  1. Really love these pics Anne. I must walk round with my eyes closes as I never see these things. I think we have only seen three snakes in the wild, in 5 years of travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that - as far as snakes go you obviously don't walk round like I do - head looking at floor! Roy is the opposite - checking the birds. I only like snakes viewing under controlled conditions but we have had a few hairy moments over the 4 years where we have walked over them on trails, one once slid over Roy's boot and he had no idea till I told him - I make him walk first so I saw it happen.

    ReplyDelete